Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I've Had It! The Ultimate Wheel of Doom Smackdown!

First rehearsal of band was almost a disaster.  My chops couldn't even make it to the end of the first half.  My tone was weak, my range was crap.  My bottom lip couldn't stay in the mouthpiece.  It was time to do something about it and now.

So today I had the ultimate smackdown.  11 mouthpieces went in, only 1 will emerge the victor (with one runner-up).  I'm going bracket-style.  I picked the same passage that wasn't very technical, but represented tone color, musicality and range (goes up to a high Bb).

First came the Laskeys.  In contention were the 775G, 75G, 75J and 725G.  The 75G came out ahead, as did the 75J.  But the ultimate winner was the 75G.

Then came the Schilkes.  In the running were the 31B, 30 and 28.  Also in the mix was the Giardinelli C10.  The 31B and the Giardinelli were the first ones out.  The 28 was a little too thin, making the 30 the winner.

The last group were the odd ones: the Wedge, the IYM and a Moosewood 2.  The IYM, though it slotted the best, was the first one out.  The Moosewood was next out, leaving the Wedge the victor.

So in the final battle it was the Laskey 75G, the Schilke 30 and the Wedge.  To level the playing field I removed my heavycaps.  Here are the factors going in:  The Laskey is my tried-and-true.  It feels and sounds great, but on the downside the rim is a little too thin and it causes my chops to roll out of the bowl.  The Schilke is a favorite of many.  It's wider rim will take a little getting used to, but it could do the trick.  The Wedge has proven itself for endurance, but it lacks the power that the others usually provide.

The winner by an upset: The Wedge!  Runner-up: the Schilke!  This is a total surprise as I was certain the Laskey would be triumphant!

So next rehearsal I'll use the Wedge, but keep the Schilke around as a backup.  And with luck, the Wheel of Doom can now stop spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment