Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Once and Future King

Musicians can be snobs, especially when it comes to hardware.  When I was young, Holtons were the rage.  Conn 8D's reigned for a long time.  Alexander and Paxman took their turns on the throne, too.  These days it's all about Schmid.  But what about King?

King has never been known to be a top-line maker.  But they shouldn't be ruled out as a bad line.  My first horn was a King Eroica, and it served me quite well up to college.

But let's look to the field.  King ruled the roost with their 1120 Mellophone for many years, and some to this day swear by them.  I played one all through college and I think that some of my notes are still bouncing around Tuscaloosa.  Those things could project like nothing I've ever played, including the celebrated Yamaha Mellos.  But Yamaha is the horn of the day, and King started to take a back seat for a while.

But wait!  Do I see more and more drum corps playing on the King line?  Yes, I do!

Let's not forget that upstart, Jupiter.  I think their day will come.  There are already some top corps who have jumped on that bandwagon.

Where am I going with all this?

I have always coveted the King 1122 Marching French Horn.  Their wrap is a little large, but there was something about them that called to me.  Granted, I already have a Yamaha YHR 302M, which is a noted good horn.  But when someone was selling them off on eBay for a steal, I had to jump on one.

And so it arrived, in it's beat-up case.  Inside was a horn that has seen a field or two.  It was in relatively good shape, but there was a ding or two (particularly one on the leadpipe that makes me unhappy).  I was itching to play it!

So last night I had the Marching French Horn Smackdown - Yamaha vs. King.  The clear winner: The King.  The tone quality was richer and projected better, it was flexible (though the Yamaha is no slouch), and the tone was even in all ranges, whereas the Yamaha squeaks out the higher you go.

So go fig.  The bright, shiny, factory-fresh Yamaha was beat by a used, field warn King.  I'm now starting to doubt my 204.  I wonder if Patterson will do a lead pipe for the King 1120?

No comments:

Post a Comment