I bid a sad farewell to Maslanka 4th. We spent about 3 months with it. In that time, you get attached.
The good part is that there were really 3 performances we did of it -- maybe more, depending on how you count. We did the recording that we submitted for the Midwest clinic, there was the Columbia Festival of Winds, and our actual concert.
The solo? Ah, the solo. For the recording and at Columbia it was pretty darned good. For our actual concert, I made a big chip. Oddly, it wasn't where I'd expect it to be. It almost sounds like a grace note. And what's worse I kind of wobbled right after it. But I got on track and finished it out well. I'm not completely happy about it. I still have that tendency to choke under pressure. Believe me, this was pressure. It's very hard to block everything out of your mind. I focused on the person to my left. I played it for her. No special reason other than she is to my left. I could have played it to the person at my right just as easily. But by focusing on ONE person, I was able to keep my wits.
My hope is that I'll be forgiven for my chip. Again, we sent out a good recording, and the Columbia fest (which someone posted on YouTube!) is respectable.
But music exists in time, and this time has passed. Hopefully time will be forgiving, too.
And for the record, it was a VERY emotional performance all around. I almost cried while we were playing.
Monday, March 18, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment