Monday, December 17, 2012

Second Concert on the Paxman

I'll admit that the first concert was not that difficult.  The second was harder for a couple of reasons.  First, the parts were more exposed and required more control.  Second, it was grossly under rehearsed.  That doesn't mean we didn't play it well -- I would have just liked to have gone over some of the passages a few more times to gain some confidence.  And when I don't have confidence, I make stupid mistakes -- mostly regarding counting.  Luckily it's always during a passage where I can hide somewhat.

So yes, I did miss a passage or two.

But two things really bugged me this time.  First, that nasty problem when I start getting tired and my bottom lip rolls out.  I credit most of this to my never-ending endurance problem.

The second involved a lack of clarity and tone color on the 5th line F (and G, but mostly the F).  That really bugged me.  I'm starting to doubt some hardware choices.  Oh, not the horn!  But other things.

Sometimes it really feels like I'm playing on a pea-shooter.  The Laskey 75G is no tiny mouthpiece, but there are times when it just feels like I'm playing directly on the lead pipe.  And then there are the heavy caps.  Do I really need them?

Today I practiced without the heavy caps.  The horn felt noticeably lighter.  But did it play differently?  It's hard to tell due to the practice mute.  (I'm getting to the point where I feel practicing with the practice mute is starting to work against me.)

So I put in messages to Mark and John regarding my issues and use of the heavy caps, as well as other mouthpiece choices (like the Laskey 80G, the Giardinelli C10 and the IYM).  I hope to hear back from them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment