Phillip Farkas believed that, like cellists, French Horn is an instrument that is played sitting. He was all about the bell resting on the right leg. How do I know this? Because my teacher studied with Farkas, and I attended a master class where he also said it.
Nowadays horn players are lifting the bell off the leg. One main reason is posture and height, but I was always able to maintain a good posture with my bell on my leg. But more and more I see players sitting with the bell off the knee. It's a different experience. It puts different pressures on both the right and left hands. Also, it puts the sound in a different direction, which means you have to listen a little differently.
But, as I'm one who doesn't want to be left behind, it's time I took the bell off my leg for good.
So far it's set me back a little, but I'm catching up. The right hand is fine (though going to hand stopping does take an extra second). The left hand is taking the bulk of the strain. I have a duck's foot, which is supporting the weight of the horn for me. Honestly, I don't know how people do it without one! I've seen the straps that some folks use, and I've tried one for a while but it drove me nuts.
Oddly, taking the bell off the leg does give me a feeling of being a little more in control of the instrument. A French Horn can feel big and unwieldy sometimes. This makes it feel a little more compact.
So that's my latest endeavor. If I can think of anything else to set me back or potentially ruin my playing, I'm sure I'll give it a try! Maybe next I'll try playing on one foot!
Friday, June 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment